The benefits of using coconut oil for your hair and your skin:
1. Skin Care: Wanna look like you just came back from an hour of yoga? Coconut oil works wonders as a moisturizer for all skin types, especially dry skin and aging skin, leaving you refreshed and looking wide-awake. No headstand required! The fat in the oil helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles without any irritation. Coconut oil can also help with skin problems like psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin conditions. In fact, the oil is frequently used in expensive skin care products.
2. Stress Relief: Long day at the office, kids won’t stop screaming and your dog left a little “present” on your vintage bedspread? Relieve mental fatigue by applying coconut oil to the head in a circular, massaging motion. The natural aroma of coconuts is extremely soothing thus helping to lower your stress level.
3. Digestion: The saturated fats in coconut oil have anti-bacterial properties that help control, parasites, and fungi that cause indigestion and other digestion related problems such as irritable bowel syndrome. The fat in coconut oil also aids in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, making you healthier all around.
4. Fitness: Coconut oil has been proven to stimulate your metabolism, improve thyroid function, and escalate energy levels, all of which help decrease your unwanted fat, while increasing muscle. Because of this, coconut oil has shot to popularity by being the world’s only natural low-calorie fat.
5. Healing: When applied on scrapes and cuts, coconut oil forms a thin, chemical layer which protects the wound from outside dust, bacteria and virus. Coconut oil speeds up the healing process of bruises by repairing damaged tissues.
6. Hair Care: Coconut oil is one of the most nutritious products you can put on your hair. Massage a bit of the oil onto your scalp and presto – no more dandruff. Since it provides the essential proteins required for nourishing damaged hair, it’s used in a ton of over-the-counter hair products anyway.
Prepare Coconut Milk Mixture:
- Place the grated coconut into the saucepan and pour in the water. Place the pan over medium heat and bring it to a slow simmer.
- Let the water and coconut simmer gently for five minutes, stirring frequently. Do not bring the ingredients to a boil.
Strain the mixture through a sieve that is lined with cheesecloth or muslin. Press or squeeze as much of the coconut milk through the cloth as possible. Discard the residue.
- Allow your freshly prepared coconut milk to cool to lukewarm temperature. Apply it liberally to your scalp, massaging it deeply into your hair roots. Leave it on for about an hour and then rinse it out with warm water. Repeat this treatment three or four times a week, ideally in the morning.
Combine Coconut Milk With Other Nourishing Ingredients:
- Combine 1/4 cup coconut milk, 3 tablespoons camphor lotion and 1 cup plain yogurt. Apply a liberal amount of this mixture to your receding hairline or bald spot, massaging it into your scalp. Allow it to soak in to two to three hours. Rinse out with warm water and pat, rather than rub, your head dry. Repeat the treatment three or four times a week.
- Combine equal parts of amla oil and coconut milk, and apply the mixture to your hair. amla oil is available at Indian food stores. Derived from the Indian gooseberry, amla is an herbal oil that not only helps prevent hair loss, but also prevents premature graying.
- Stir 1/4 teaspoon powdered fenugreek and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper with half a cup of coconut milk. Massage this treatment into your scalp.
Coconut Milk as a Hair Volumizing Formula:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Just put the coconut milk in a spray bottle. After you shampoo your hair, spray your still-wet hair with the coconut milk, then blow dry.
This formula will keep in the fridge for about a week.
True natural body care extends beyond basic health and aesthetic concerns to include fun, frolic, physical and tactile pleasures, warm and tender sharing, and a celebration of life. So while this formula does wonders for moisturizing your skin, it can also arouse your senses with yummy tastes and soothing texture.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (extra-virgin, unrefined)
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite raw honey
- 2 drops vanilla, peppermint, or sweet orange essential oil (optional)
- In a small bowl, whip together all ingredients. This sweet treat is now ready to use.
- If the temperature in your kitchen is above 76F, the body honey will maintain a liquid consistency; if the temperature is below 76F, it will be a medium soft solid (because of the melting point of the coconut oil).
- Take several bath towels (enough to cover your body) and dampen them with hot water (as hot is comfortable for you to touch) in an empty bathtub. Get in the tub and rub the honey mixture over your body, recline and cover yourself with the hot towels. Sit, relax, and enjoy until the towels are cool and you are ready to rinse. Rinse, pat yourself dry, and follow up with some plain coconut oil or your favorite all-natural lotion.